The Advanced Materials Division (AMD) is a dynamic and multi-disciplinary division that addresses the need for specific research into the end-use of metals in the manufacturing, fabrication and mining industries. AMD combines the skills of highly qualified and experienced researchers with a comprehensive variety of specialised equipment, some of which is unique in South Africa and undertakes contract research and development as well as fundamental research in the following areas:
Precious metals research
- Advanced alloys research and development.
- Materials Science (Nanoscience and Nanotechnology) in the specific fields of Water, Health and the Environment.
- Fuel cells research and development.
- Precious metals based drug therapies.
Ferrous and base metal research and development
- Production of special alloys.
Metallurgical service work for complex and difficult problems
- Comprehensive metallurgical services to small and large industries.